The first day of the 2013 Draft is in the books, and the Pirates have drafted three players they hope to add to their system soon.
1st Round, #9 Overall – Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS (GA) [Full Story]
– Ranked #5 overall prospect by Baseball America.
– Plays center field, but projects to move to one of the corners.
– Baseball America named him “Best Athlete,” as well as having the “Best Strike Zone Judgement” among high schoolers. He was also named second-best “Pure Hitter” and second “Closest to the Majors” among prep prospects.
– Hit .535 with four homers, 14 doubles, and one triple his senior season.
1st Round, #14 Overall – Reese McGuire, C, Kentwood HS (WA) [Full Story]
– Left-handed hitting catcher who was ranked by Baseball America as the top backstop in the draft and the #12 overall player.
– He has drawn nice reviews on his defensive ability as he sports a plus arm, has good receiving and blocking skills, along with a high baseball IQ.
– Was named USA Baseball’s Player of the Year in 2012 after hitting .400/.522/.514 for the 18-and-under team last year.
– Hit .436 with four homers, 13 doubles, and three triples his senior season.
2nd Round, #51 Overall – Blake Taylor, LHP, Dana Hills HS (CA) [Full Story]
– Ranked as #54 overall prospect in the draft by Baseball America.
– Fastball sits 89-92 mph. Also throws a good curveball and a developing changeup.
– Has a projectable frame at 6’3″ and posted a 2.57 ERA with 59 strikeouts in 11 games this year as a senior.