- Pedro Alvarez has started his rehab assignment, which is excellent news. He started at 3B for the GCL Pirates today and will be re-assigned to the Bradenton Marauders to continue his rehab. Hopefully this means Alvarez isn’t too far off from rejoining the club.
– Indian pitcher Rinku Singh has been promoted to State College from the GCL Pirates. 2011 draftee Jordan Cooper has been assigned to the GCL roster to take his place. Singh pitched in just one game in the GCL this season and pitched 4 scoreless innings with 5 strikeouts and no walks.
– RHP Kevin Hart visited Dr. James Andrews today and has been told to focus on rehab the next month instead of pitching. That piece of news is for all those people who actually remembered Hart was still with the organization.
– RHP Mike Crotta has been activated off the disabled list and optioned to AAA-Indianapolis. Crotta pitched in 10 2/3 innings out of the Pirates’ bullpen to start off the year and posted a 9.28 ERA with 7 strikeouts and 5 walks.
– The Pirates acquired Minor League catcher Miguel Perez from the Washington Nationals for a player to be named later or cash. Perez played for Altoona and Indianapolis in 2008-2009 and will serve as minor league depth at catcher after Wyatt Toregas suffered an injury in AAA-Indianapolis. Catcher has been a problem this year to say the least.
– Lastly SS Jordy Mercer has been promoted to AAA from AA-Altoona. The Bucs’ 2008 3rd round pick is showing a lot of pop for a middle infielder this year with a .267/.329/.487 with 13 homers in 265 AB. Mercer’s prospect status has taken a hit since being drafted, but an infielder with the power potential he possesses deserves a little attention.